Go Back

Blackjack Vs Slots - Which Should You Play?

Blackjack Vs Slots - Which Should You Play?

Choosing between blackjack and slots can be tricky, especially if you're new to online casinos. Both offer unique experiences and different kinds of excitement. 

Blackjack has an element of skill and strategy involved. The aim of the game is to try to get a hand with a total closer to 21 than the dealer without going over. It is still a game of chance, but there is some level of skilful decision-making required to play your cards right. 

Slots, on the other hand, are all down to chance. You place your bet and spin the reels, then wait to see if you manage to line up enough matching symbols in the right way to win. There are many different themes and types, making each spin an exciting surprise. 

Both games have their upsides and downsides. In this post, we'll discuss the key features of each to help you decide which one suits your style best. 

Blackjack vs Slots

When deciding between blackjack and slots, it's important to consider what each game offers in terms of gameplay and enjoyment: 



  • Skill and Strategy: In blackjack, you make decisions that impact the outcome. This can be appealing if you enjoy games that require thinking and strategy.
  • Interaction: All players at the table play individually against the dealer, adding a social element.


  • Simplicity: Slots are straightforward. You simply place a bet, spin the reels and wait for the outcome. There's no skill required.
  • Variety: There are many different types of slot games, each with unique themes, gameplay mechanics and bonus features. This keeps gameplay fresh and exciting.

Odds and Payouts


  • Decisions Affect The Odds: If a player successfully implements basic blackjack strategy, they can lower the house edge compared to playing with no strategy at all. However, the house edge can never be fully eliminated, meaning there is always an element of chance.
  • Consistent Payouts: The available payouts are generally the same across most blackjack games, so you know what you are likely to win for each hand and side bet.


  • Big Jackpots: Some slots offer progressive jackpots, where the prize can grow to substantial amounts. This creates the potential for far bigger wins than those available in blackjack.
  • Random Outcomes: Since slots are entirely based on chance, the odds of winning on any given slot are the same on every spin, and there is no way to affect the odds of winning.

Time and Engagement


  • Active Engagement: You need to stay focused and make decisions for each hand. This keeps you actively involved in the game.
  • Time Commitment: A game of blackjack can take longer compared to a quick spin on a slot machine.


  • Quick Play: You play slots alone, so you can play for just a few minutes or for a longer session, making them flexible for different time commitments.
  • No Skill Required: Slots have random and unpredictable outcomes. After placing a bet and pressing spin, there's little else to do unless a bonus feature triggers, which can be appealing to those who prefer not to have to do calculations or make decisions during gameplay.

By understanding these differences, you can choose the game that best fits your preference and style of play. Whether you enjoy the strategic challenges of blackjack or the exciting spins of slots, there's something for everyone. 

What Are The Odds On Blackjack?

In blackjack, the odds can be quite favourable compared to other casino games. Understanding these odds can help you make better decisions while playing. 

Generally, blackjack has a house edge of around 2-4% if you play without using any strategy. However, effectively using basic strategy, which suggests the most statistically optimal move based on your hand and the dealer's upcard, like knowing when to hit, stand, or double down, can lower the house edge to around 0.5-1%. This is far lower than the house edge in most other casino games, including slots. 

Your chances of winning a hand in blackjack are roughly 42%. There's also a 49% chance of losing and about a 9% chance the hand ends in a tie, called a "push". 

If you get a "blackjack" (a 2-card hand totalling 21 - i.e. an Ace and a 10-value card), you usually get paid 3:2, meaning a £10 bet would win you £15. For other winning hands, the payout is typically 1:1. 

By keeping these odds in mind, you can approach the game more confidently and set realistic expectations. 

What Are The Odds On Slot Machines?

Slot machines are games of chance, and the odds of winning depend on several factors. 

Return to Player (RTP)

Each slot machine has an RTP value, which shows the percentage of money that the slot averages out as returning to players over a long time. For example, a slot with an RTP of 96% averages out as returning £96 for every £100 wagered in the long run. 


Slots come in different levels of volatility: 

  • Low Volatility: These slots are more likely to pay out smaller wins, but wins land more frequently than in higher-volatility slots, in theory.
  • High Volatility: These slots are more likely to offer bigger wins, but wins land less often, in theory. 
  • Medium Volatility: These slots offer a balance of payout size and frequency, in theory. 

Random Number Generators (RNG)

Slot machines use RNG software to ensure each spin is completely random and independent of other spins. This means the outcome of each spin has nothing to do with the last one or any before it; this means no one can predict the outcome. 

Payouts and Jackpots

Some slots offer impressive jackpot prizes, which often offer far slimmer odds of winning in exchange for the chance to win far larger sums than in most other slots. 

By understanding these aspects, you can get a clear idea of how slots work and what to expect when you play. Remember, slots are designed for entertainment and to be completely random, so focus on the excitement of the gameplay and keep in mind that winning is never guaranteed, which is why playing responsibly is so important. 

Are Slots Luck Or Skill?

Slots are games of chance. Unlike blackjack, where strategy and decision-making play a role, slots require no skill. Here's why: 

Every spin on a slot machine is determined by a Random Number Generator (RNG). This software constantly generates random number sequences at extremely high speeds, and each one corresponds to a random combination of symbols on the reels. The RNG cannot be affected by player actions in any way; this ensures that each spin is independent and completely random, meaning you can't predict or influence the outcome. It also means the odds of winning are the same on every single spin. 

There aren't any strategies or skills that can improve your chances of winning at slots. Your only decision is how much to bet and when to spin. This makes slots simple but also completely down to chance. 

Slots have different winning mechanics and bonus features, which can add variety and excitement. However, triggering these features is still a matter of chance. 

While you can't influence the outcome, you can control how quickly you play and how much you bet per spin. Setting a budget and knowing when to stop are the best "skills" you can apply to slots. 

In summary, slots are all down to chance. So, enjoy the game for what it is, and remember to gamble responsibly. 

Should You Play Blackjack Or Slots?

Deciding between blackjack and slots often comes down to what you enjoy most in a game. 

If you enjoy using strategy and making decisions, blackjack might be the game for you. It requires some thought, and you can slightly improve your odds if you employ a good strategy. This can be more engaging if you like a challenge where you have more of an active hand in the outcome. 

Slots are ideal if you prefer something simple to play. There's no need to learn complex rules or strategies - just read through the paytable to know what this specific slot involves in terms of forming wins, potential payouts, and available bonus features, then place your bet and spin the reels to see what happens. This makes slots ideal for a relaxing and fun experience. 

Blackjack involves playing against a dealer and sometimes with other players at the table doing the same. This adds a social aspect that you won't find in slots. If you enjoy a bit of interaction, blackjack could be more enjoyable. 

Think about how much time you want to spend playing. Blackjack games can take a bit longer as you'll be making decisions for each hand, and once you're in a round, you cannot just leave part way through; you have to see the round out first. Slots offer quick play sessions, which you can stop at any time since there is only you playing. This makes them suitable for shorter bursts of entertainment. 

By considering these factors - and others mentioned throughout this blog post - you can decide which game aligns best with your personal preferences. Whether it's the strategic depth of blackjack or the simplicity and excitement of slots, choose the one that makes your gaming experience enjoyable. Whichever you choose to play, please do so responsibly. Always stick to a budget and only bet money you are comfortable losing. 

*All values (Bet Levels, Maximum Wins, etc.) mentioned in relation to these games are subject to change at any time. Game features mentioned may not be available in some jurisdictions.